5.2.11

Unsterbliche Geliebte

"Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements," as said in The Sunscreen Song, my life's modern Desiderata.



My fascination with love letters all started from the first Sex and The City movie, when Carrie Bradshaw borrowed a book of Love Letters of Great Men from New York's public library. Carrie is a novelist in the movie. She borrowed the book to do some research for her next novel.

Then I have come across this article called: Write a Love Letter Like a Soldier. So I started to research for more love letters and I found them here. Below are my favorites:

July 24, 1940

I cannot get that beautiful afternoon out of my head, above me where I lay the grass was silhouetted against the blue of the heavens, small clouds were rushing past as the wind drove them on an endless journey. Then close to me was the most lovely of all, your soft hair against my cheek, your kisses so cool and unearthly and my happiness was so great.

Julia Lee-Booker to Lieut. Pat McSwiney, a British soldier. The couple were secretly engaged but were separated for three years during the war. They were married in 1944.


Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-91) was born in Salzburg, the son of Leopold Mozart and Anna Maria Pertl. From the age of five he performed all over Europe with his sister, Maria-Anna.

By 1772 he had composed 25 symphonies and two string quartets. He was appointed honorary concert master to the court in Salzburg in 1774, and after more tours--to Italy, Manneheim, and Paris--and a spell as court organist in Salzburg (1778-80), he moved to Vienna in 1781. Mozart wrote most of his best work in the years that followed: 12 piano concertos (1784-86); six quartets; and the operas The Marriage of

Figaro (1786), Don Giovanni (1787), and Cosi Fan Tutte (1790). In 1791, the year of the Requiem and The Magic Flute, he died of heart failure, at age 35.

This is a portion of a letter sent to his wife Constanze

Mainz October 17, 1790

PS.--while I was writing the last page, tear after tear fell on the paper. But I must cheer up -- catch! -- An astonishing number of kisses are flying about --- The deuce!-- I see a whole crowd of them! Ha! Ha!...I have just caught three-- They are delicious!-- You can still answer this letter, but you must address your reply to Linz, Poste Restante-- That is the safest course. As I do not yet know for certain whether I shall go to Regensburg, I can't tell you anything definite. Just write on the cover that the letter is to be kept until called for.

Adieu--Dearest, most beloved little wife-- Take care of your health-- and don't think of walking into town. Do write and tell me how you like our new quarters-- Adieu. I kiss you millions of times.
But this next man, I found his whole life full of unfulfilled love, his name is..

Peter Abelard (1079 - 1142), one of the most brilliant and controversial philosophers of the 12th century, met nineteen year-old Heloise, his intellectual equal, in 1116. They soon fell deeply in love but when her uncle discovered their affair, Heloise and Abelard were violently forced apart. Disgraced, they both fled: Heloise to a convent, Abelard to a monastery. Their love continued, however, in the beautiful letters they wrote to each other. In the following excerpt from one of those letters, Heloise relates her fear of outliving her love.
It's just unbelievable how they wrote those letters many years ago, when mails weren't electronic, when light source at night were real torch, and when words weren't typewritten but handwritten by a person who expresses his love for you dearly.

"I shall certainly love you forever." François-Marie Arouet

Someday, I will write a love letter for someone special. A letter where I will pour my heart's emotions into words out. Someday, I hope to receive a love letter from that special someone.
ever thine
ever mine
ever ours
--Ludwig van Beethoven